A couple of days ago, Facebook-owned Instagram—photo-sharing platform has released a “Data Download Tool” that allows its users to download a copy of their data which consists of photos, videos, comments, likes, profile info, and more.
Well now, another Facebook-owned WhatsApp—instant messaging service has also released the same feature called “Request Account Info” that allows users to download their account information and settings such as Username, Device used, Phone number, Group names etc.,
- Also Read: You can now Download all your Instagram Data
How to download your account information?
If you want to download the WhatsApp account data, you can be requested directly from the WhatsApp settings itself. Currently, this feature is only available to Android users for those who’re on a beta. Hence, if you are a non-beta Android user or an iPhone user, all you can do right now is wait.
To request your account information
- To get started, make sure you’re having Whatsapp Beta (v 2.18.128) or you can download here and be hitting the “Become a Tester” button.
- Next, open up the Play Store on your phone and update the WhatsApp app.
- If you feel all this process is little complicated, you can also simply download the latest beta APK and install it.You can download it directly from this link.
Steps to do:
- Open WhatsApp on your smartphone and Go to Settings
- Go to Account tab
- Select Request account info.
- Tap on Request report
- You’ll receive a WhatsApp notification once the report is ready “Your account info request is ready to download”
WhatsApp says that it can take up to three days for the report to be download-ready, and once it’s available for download, users have a “few weeks” to download their report.
I raised a request report, it took merely a one hour and two minutes after that, i received a notification which says, ‘Your account info request is ready to download’ with a file size of 83 Kb
Note: your request will be canceled if you Delete your account, Change your number, Change your device or Re-register your account. However, you can request another report if your request is canceled.
How to download the WhatsApp report?
- Go to Settings > Account > and select Request account info
- Download report
- Once the file is downloaded to your phone, select Export report
- Unzip the downloaded ZIP file
- The ZIP file includes two files an access.html file which can be easily opened on your phone or Laptop and a portability .josn file that could be easily ported to another app.
Points to remember
- The downloaded report will not include any of your Messages because they are end-to-end encrypted and cannot be viewed by even WhatsApp (at least that’s what they keep saying).
- The downloaded report will contain information like your phone number, WhatsApp contacts, profile photo, group names, and more, So only share it with th people or apps you trust.
- Once the report is requested, you can’t undo or cancel your pending report request
- It’s not possible to view the downloaded report within WhatsApp. Select any of the external applications that appear in the share options to export the report. Use Google drive for quick and easy access.
- After you download your report to your phone, you’ll have the option to permanently delete the downloaded copy from your phone.
- Deleting the report will not delete any of your account’s data.
- You can also email a copy of the report to yourself or transfer it to your PC.
That’s it. Hope you all like it!!.If you have any problems do let us know in the comments section below…