Google Android is definitely an awesome operating system, powering millions of Smartphones and tablets. Android OS comes with various mobile brands and tablets. If you used different mobile brands which runs Android OS you might have felt a different experience in performance with UI. Even though both devices run the same version of Android and nearly with same specifications. Do you know why? Well, it is simply because of the ROMs which the mobile brands use.
There are three kinds of ROMs. I’m gonna tell you the pros and cons of these ROMs (i.e. Android stock ROM vs Skinned ROM vs Custom ROM). The choice of selecting the ROM is yours because it is the user’s personal preference. Okay let’s take a look at the Stock, Skinned and custom ROMs
Android Stock ROM vs Skinned ROM vs Custom ROM
Okay, let’s see about all three ROMs separately. Starting with Stock ROM
We all know that Android is from Google, are we getting the original Android ROM from all mobile brands? The answer is definitely no. Stock ROM is original ROM from Google without any customization of Mobile brands. Not every Mobile brand offers you Stock ROM running devices. If you want Stock ROM you have to buy devices Which Google officially ties up with mobile brands, like Nexus tablets and Phones (also expecting Android one smartphones). The next way to get Stock ROM experience is to buy Google play edition of the devices. Some mobile brands exclusively launch Google play edition of the devices for the users and they are limited editions. Now Motorola also offers stock ROM devices. Let’s move into more detailed information about Stock ROM.
- Pure Android Experience: Since Stock ROMs are original ROM from Google it will give you a Pure Android experience. ROMs are well optimized for a better user experience
- Performance: No compromise in performance, it always top notching. The device gives you a great touch response, a fluid experience in performance with no lags. Bug issues are very minute which a good thing for users.
- Battery Performance: Battery life is always important. Stock ROM uses fewer resources of your devices which gives an excellent battery life. The battery performance is good.
- Android version and updates: This is one of the major benefits of Stock ROM devices. New Stock ROM devices always come with the latest Android version out of the box. They can have the upcoming firmware updates (i.e. system updates) too.
- Get Google apps Preloaded: Rather than play store it is good to have basic Google stock apps preloaded and have access to Services of the Play store
- Features & customization: You can’t get too many features of the devices like gestures, launchers and some other features. You might get bored and start looking for a custom launcher. The notification tray in Stock Android doesn’t have quick access to settings, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, data and etc.
- Also Read: How to Get Rid of Trojan Horses on Your PC
Now let’s move to the skinned ROM
Skinned ROM is the customized UI of the stock ROM by Mobile brands. Samsung Phones uses its own Skinned ROM which is known as TouchWiz UI. If you take Xiaomi they use their customized UI known as MIUI. Okay the Skinned ROM is developed by the Mobile brands and it depends on the mobile brands
- ROM experience: Since it is customized UI you won’t get Pure Android experience here. You have to use the launcher of the Mobile brand. For example, Samsung users get TouchWiz home launcher preloaded. Also, the ROM might not be well optimized.
- Performance: The performance is not quite impressive here. The possibility of Smoother UI is very less. Users have to face lags in UI. There might be some bugs in the Skinned ROM since it is developed by the mobile brands which may lead to a bad user experience. (Samsung TouchWiz UI lags even in high-end devices)
- Battery Performance: Skinned ROM uses more resources than Stock ROM so the battery performance is less when compared to Stock ROM devices.
- Security: Skinned ROM devices security can’t be trusted because it may contain backdoor and bloatware which may steal sensitive data from users. There is a buzz that Xiaomi is sending sensitive data of users to Chinese servers.
- Android version and updates: Getting an Android update in Skinned ROM devices is a big deal. If you bought a budget Phone probably it’s hard to get to minor system update through your Phone Hardware specification is capable. Only high-end devices will receive a couple of updates and you can’t expect more. The reason is company has to develop the Skinned ROM for your devices which may add an additional cost and time for them.
- Google apps preloaded: It is hard to see all Google apps preloaded with the device apart from Play store. Even some devices won’t have Play store out of the box. Getting Play store is no big deal but it might affect the normal users or it shows a bad sign to the users
- Features & customization: Skinned ROM devices have more customization and features. If you take a look at Xiaomi devices they have preloaded with a store where you can download and customize with themes. If you take a look into Samsung high-end devices they have a lot of features, like the TouchWiz launcher, you can scroll web pages from top to bottom with your vision movements also with lots of customized gestures for user convenience. Notification tray will have quick access to the options which you need. You can get these features in stock ROMs
- Also Read: Most useful Google chrome extensions
Custom ROMs are suitable for geek users or say people who are using rooted Android devices and not for average users. But remember Rooting your device will lead to void its warranty. Custom ROMs require root access to install on your device. To install custom ROMs You should know how to flash a phone. Okay, Custom ROMs are created by developers to give more functionality and customization to your Phone. You can get unofficial ROMs of the latest version of Android. I used Custom Android Oreo ROM in my Redmi Note 3.Jellybeann was not officially released for Redmi Note 3. By installing Custom ROMs you can use your Phone in full fledge. The custom ROMs have some serious bugs which will annoy you. Updates are often released and bugs will be fixed. You can overclock your Phone performance or under clock to save battery. Improve tweaks and lot more. You can find all the stuffs for your Phone in XDA developers.